Our long-awaited hot summer weather is finally upon us and a cool, refreshing summer snack is just what we need! This veggie-packed Pico de Gallo salsa is quick to prepare and full of colour, so it’s sure to be a fun family treat. We love to serve it in a soft taco shell with all the fixin’s. Older kids may enjoy it in a crunchy hard-shell taco too! A great dish to include at your next gathering or family BBQ!
Makes 2 cups (6-8 child-sized portions or 4 adult-sized portions)
Ingredients for Pico de Gallo Salsa
- 1 cup fresh tomato, diced OR ½ can (796ml) diced tomatoes, no sodium added, drained well
- ½ cup bell peppers, diced (let your little ones choose their favourite colours! The more colourful, the better!)
- ½ medium white or red onion, diced
- ½ cup spinach leaves
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped
- ½ fresh lime, juiced OR 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Pinch of salt and pepper, to taste
Optional: ½ jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped finely – if your family likes a little bit of heat!
- Wash your vegetables and chop them all up
- Mix them all together in a bowl and season with lime juice, salt, and pepper (and finely chopped jalapenos, if using)
- Taste mixture, adjust seasoning as needed
- Optional: for a smooth salsa, blend it up!
- Let rest for at least 20 minutes before serving, to allow flavours to blend
- Spoon your homemade Pico de Gallo salsa into taco shells with some sour cream and shredded cheese to top it all off! If you’d like a heartier taco, throw in black beans and corn too!
Nutrition Tip: Did you know that there are THOUSANDS of varieties of tomatoes grown around the world?? Although a tomato is mostly water (at least 75% of its weight!), it is also a good source of nutrients, including vitamin C, potassium, and folate, making this a juicy and nutritious addition to your plate.