Quesadillas are a quick and easy meal option. This recipe is very versatile and can be enjoyed with a variety of options for toppings. Add your favourite pizza toppings, such as peppers, mushrooms, olives or even pineapple. For lunches on the go, make a cheese/vegetable quesadilla and pack it with a side of marinara or pesto sauce for dipping.
Vegetarian Pizza Quesadillas (4 servings)
1 large can whole tomatoes
1 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp dried oregano
Salt and pepper to taste
4 whole wheat tortillas
½ cup marinara or ¼ pesto sauce
1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
Your favourite pizza toppings!
- Combine the tomatoes (with their juices), onion, garlic, olive oil and oregano in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Bring the sauce to a simmer and then lower the heat and let the sauce cook for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Using a wooden spoon or spatula, crush the tomatoes against the side of the pot.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat a skillet over medium heat.
- Spread the sauce over half the tortilla. Sprinkle with shredded cheese. Add any additional toppings and then sprinkle another layer of shredded cheese.
- Fold the tortilla over.
- Cook in the skillet for 2-3 minutes per side, or until the tortilla is browned and the cheese has melted.
- Cut into triangles and enjoy!
Quesadilla with Marinara Sauce Nutritional Information (per serving):
200 calories, 330mg sodium, 20g carbohydrates, 10g protein, 10g fat (5g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 5g unsaturated fat), 1g sugar, 3g fibre
Recipe adapted from: Cookie+Kate, The Seasoned Mom, Fountain Avenue Kitchen, and approved by Emma Minden, Registered Dietitian, Wholesome Kids Catering.