Canada’s Food Guide recommends choosing protein foods that come from plants more often. Choosing these options does not need to be overwhelming, complicated or overly expensive. Rather than buying premade from the grocery store, I have provided a simple homemade tofu nugget recipe below. Enjoy!
Homemade Tofu Nuggets
(Yields 3 servings)
- 14 oz extra firm tofu
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp corn starch
- ½ cup unsweetened soy milk
- 1 ½ tsp apple cider vinegar
- ¾ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 ½ Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 ½ tsp paprika
- 1 ½ tsp onion powder
- ¾ tsp salt
- ¾ tsp pepper
- ⅛ tsp cayenne
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Dipping sauce of your choice
- Drain the tofu and then wrap it in a clean dish towel and place a heavy object (such as a cast iron pan) on top. Press the tofu for 20-30 minutes, until the towel is soaked through.
- Place the pressed tofu back in its container and wrap with reusable wrap. Freeze for at least 6 hours up to overnight.
- Remove the tofu from the freezer and place in a microwave-safe bowl and defrost until completely thawed.
- Wrap the tofu in a dish towel and press again for another 20-30 minutes, until the dish towel is soaked through and the tofu is half its original thickness.
- Preheat oven to 400°C and line a baking sheet.
- Tear the tofu into bite-sized pieces that resemble a chicken tender or nugget.
- Set up a breading station: in a shallow bowl mix together the flour and cornstarch, in a separate shallow bowl mix together the soy milk and apple cider vinegar, in a third shallow bowl mix together the breadcrumbs, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, paprika, onion powder, salt, pepper, cayenne and olive oil.
- Coat the pieces first in the flour mixture, then in the soy milk mixture, then again in the flour mixture, again in the soy milk mixture and finally in the breadcrumb mixture.
- Add the tofu to the baking sheet and spray the tops with nonstick spray. Bake for 20-25 minutes, flipping halfway through, until golden brown.
Nutritional Information (per serving):
350 calories, 630mg sodium, 38g carbohydrates, 20g protein, 12g fat (1.5g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 10.5g unsaturated fat), 2g sugar, 4g fibre
Recipe adapted from tasty.co and approved by Emma Minden, Registered Dietitian, Wholesome Kids Catering