Fibre from brown rice and whole grain tortillas and lean protein from chicken makes this burrito recipe heart healthy!
- 1/3 cup brown rice
- dry 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 2 chicken breasts (about 250g or 8oz. each), boneless, skinless, diced into bitesized pieces
- 1 cup diced tomatoes, low sodium, drained (save 23 tablespoons of diced tomato juice)
- ½ cup green pepper, diced small
- ½ cup corn niblets, frozen (rinsed and drained, if canned)
- 1 cup cheddar or mozzarella cheese, shredded, reduced fat (< 20% M.F.)
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 8 whole grain tortillas (6 inch or 15cm)
- Optional: 1 lime, cut in
How to Put it all Together:
- In a pot, cook brown rice according to packaging (typically, 2/3 cup water to 1/3 cup rice )
- In a bowl, mix diced chicken with chicken seasoning ingredients until chicken is evenly coated
- In a second pot, heat vegetable oil over medium heat. Add seasoned diced chicken, cook until no longer pink
- Add tomatoes, green peppers, corn, and 23 tablespoons of diced tomato juice and cook for 57 minutes
- Remove chicken and vegetables from heat and mix in cooked brown rice
- Serve the chicken, veggie, and rice mixture family style. Prepare a plate for the whole grain tortillas. Serve shredded cheese and sliced avocado on the side
- The best part: Add the mixture to the middle of a tortilla, top with shredded cheese and a slice of avocado. Roll up, and enjoy!
Option to Squeeze a bit of lime juice inside for a fresh spritz of vitamin C!