As the New Year unfolds, many of us embark on a journey of self-improvement. Engaging children in the process of creating New Year’s resolutions can be a fun and meaningful activity, imparting valuable lessons about setting realistic goals for success through incremental changes that can have a lasting impact.
Promoting Variety and Moderation
Maintaining a well-balanced diet involves enjoying a variety of foods in moderation. While emphasizing the importance of whole, unprocessed options such as fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean proteins, and healthy fats, there is no need to give up favourite foods.
- Encourage your kid to try a new food each week, even if it’s just one bite.
- Ensure hydration by making water the primary beverage and reserving fruit juice for special occasions.
Time-Saving Meal Planning
Some people believe that eating healthy demands considerable time and effort. However, effective meal planning can save you plenty of time and guarantee you have nutritious foods at your fingertips.
- Invest half an hour weekly to brainstorm meal preferences with your family.
- Involve your child in grocery shopping and let them pick out a different colour of fresh produce each time.
- Assign simple meal preparation tasks to your child, like washing vegetables, mixing ingredients, and plating meals.
Savouring the Dining Experience
Paying attention to food cultivates a deeper appreciation for the meal experience. Mindful eating heightens awareness of hunger and fullness cues, facilitating informed food choices and portion control.
- Encourage the exclusion of toys and electronics during meals, fostering a focus on each other’s company.
- Establish a pleasant environment that invites open conversations about the sensory aspects of food in a neutral and non-judgmental manner. Explore the colours, smells, textures, and flavours together to create a positive and engaging experience around meals.
To keep children motivated, set up a sticker chart to track their goals and offer a reward for achievements. Teach them the importance of embracing the journey and focusing on continual progress rather than perfection.