Shift: 5:00 am – 1:00 pm, Monday – Friday, Full-time permanent
We are growing and would love you to grow with us, plus enjoy the food you help prepare. No more brown bag lunches!
Who we are: Wholesome Kids Catering is a 25-year-old catering company that provides healthy lunches and snacks to children in child care centres, schools and camp/sports programs. We have a passion for enriching the lives of our community and serving up daily nourishment, carefully sourced and prepared, to grow healthy bodies and minds.
Who you are: You consider yourself to be a food enthusiast. Sous Chefs will support Wholesome Kids Catering with the preparation, cooking, baking, portioning and packing of a mass quantity of hot meals, lunches and snacks for the childcare centres and schools early each morning on a daily basis. Sous Chefs are responsible for knowing, understanding and accurately following Wholesome Kids Catering recipes, instructions and procedures. In addition, Sous Chefs are responsible for ensuring that Wholesome Kids Catering high quality and food standards are being met, with 100% integrity.
What You Will Do at Wholesome Kids Catering:
- Become familiar, read and follow recipes for mass quantity cooking
- Know and understand how to read Wholesome Kids Catering’s label sheets
- Understanding Wholesome Kids Catering food and quality standards, while actively monitoring these standards
- Understanding what is required for each task – what you are preparing/cooking, quantities, etc.
- Become familiar with materials required for different tasks
- Operate and understand how to use measurement scales
- Understanding different measurements (g, kg, lbs.)
- Ensure accuracy in counting and weighing to the exact required number or measurement
- Basic mathematic skills and conversion skills
- Written and verbal communication is required
- Use and operate large kettles, using large equipment and utensils for these kettles
- Use and Operate large roll-in Combi oven
- Taste testing – know what the end result of each batch should be and ensuring that taste is accurate
- Checking the quality of the food being served
- Understand and follow recipes and processes precisely from the job card
- Multitasking – operating multiple kettles and multiple batches of food at one time
- Know food safety standards – checking that meat is fully cooked
- Preparing containers with labels
- Cleaning kettles in accordance with HACCP in between batches
- Packing food efficiently to ensure no wasted materials
- Maintaining the cleanliness of work stations, cleaning as you go throughout the day
- Operating industrial sized machines and equipment such as ovens, kettles, mixers etc.
- Taking used equipment and materials over to the dish area to be cleaned
- Participating in recipe development and food tasting
- Offering support in areas where needed
- Ensure hot meals are accurate, packed properly and sealed to ensure temperature retention
Some of the challenging parts of the job: Working in a large Commissary can be exciting, especially for a food lover like you – but it can also be quite physical. Some daily requirements and components to the job you will need to consider are:
- Stirring and mixing a large quantity of food
- Lifting and carrying up to 60 lbs.
- Safely use and handle sharp materials such as box cutters and knives
- Safely lift and carry boxes
- Push, pull and move rolling racks and carts safely around the facility
- Standing for long periods of time
- Repetitive tasks and body movement
- Bending, leaning and reaching
- Operating pallet jacks to move skids around the facility
Some of the exciting parts of the job:
- Free hot lunch and hot beverages (coffee, tea) every day
- Health & Wellness Benefits
- Experience in a professional kitchen working alongside Red Seal Chef and Nutritionists
- Working knowledge of food safety, including Food Handler’s Certification and HACCP regulations.
- The chance to be a part of a dynamic team with a passion for food and community
What you will need to bring to the team:
- Secondary School Diploma or equivalent
- Post-Secondary School Education in Culinary is an asset
- Red Seal Certification is an asset
- 3 – 5 years of cooking experience in a food service environment in a role with similar responsibility
- Experience in a customer focused related position
- Food Handler Certification is an asset
- Experience complying with HACCP is an asset
Training will be provided on the above duties and responsibilities upon hire
Our Wholesome Kids Catering Core Values:
- I Enrich The Lives of those we serve and our community that surrounds us
- I am a Trusted Partner to my colleagues, customers and community
- I act with Integrity in everything I do
- I Excel at my position and strive for greatness
- I Collaborate and use all my resources to do the very best job I can do
- I am Growing through continued education
- I Make an Impact
*Wholesome Kids Catering is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing accommodations in accordance with the Accessibility of Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation throughout the recruitment and selection process, we will work with you to meet your needs. We thank all those applicants who have applied; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.